Import files into Whimsical

Is it possible to import files? I want to export my current Lucidchart flowcharts and import into Whimsical.

2 Likes

@slim_13 Automated import is not currently possible in Whimsical, but you can import your charts as images. Curious, how many files do you have?

2 Likes

I don’t have that many, but this would make it impossible for a company to move away from any other tools e.g. Lucidchart

3 Likes

We have the same issue. In order for us to switch to Whimsical, we would have to be able to convert our lucidchart charts in structured form, not as images.

Hi there! Same issue here - any luck moving charts to Whimsical?

I had to log in AGAIN to post in this forum. Simple things like that make no sense, why not use my credentials I am currently logged into Whimsical with to create my forum account.
This sort of thinking makes me wonder if a Lucid Chart importer will ever on the horizon.

You can import from miro into Lucid chart. Pity that lucid chart is the only company doing these user requested features when they are the ones we are trying to escape from.

1 Like

Hi James! At the moment, an importer is not on the horizon but if that changes we’ll be sure to let you know. Sorry that I don’t have better news.

Any news on an import feature? Would like to import Lucidchart files to Whimsical.

I had some success converting an external flowchart to mermaid, and then importing the mermaid via the ai tool. Your ‘paste mermaid as a flowchart’ doc is not very clear, and I had no success directly pasting my chart. I would suggest making your instructions more clear, and building in proper native mermaid import capabilities.
The ability to import existing work would be very beneficial to any company switching over to using your services, and current clients alike! :smiley:

Hey there, @NolanCline_VSA! I’m sorry for the confusion caused by the help article. I’ve just published some tweaks to the article to clarify the types of Mermaid diagrams that are supported.

To get a better understanding of the functionality, check out some of the examples Mermaid has published at Examples | Mermaid. You can paste those examples into Whimsical and play around with its capabilities.

Hello @Darta!

That document linked to by @NolanCline_VSA is still unclear. I cannot tell from it how to import Mermaid sequence diagrams into Whimsical. There is a video, but I can’t tell what exactly is happening in the video, as it goes by really fast. Can you please put on the help doc the steps needed to take, in text format, below the video? Thanks!

Hey Richard!

You have to copy the mermaid code (Ctrl + C on PC or Cmd + C on Mac).
Then, open a Whimsical board and paste the copied code (Ctrl + V on PC or Cmd + V on Mac) into Whimsical. Just keep in mind that we only support the folloiwing diagrams:

• graph
  • sequenceDiagram
  • flowchart

Here’s an example you can try to paste into Whimsical:

graph LR
A[User requests password reset]
B{Is the user registered?}
A --> B
B -- Yes --> C[Send password reset link to user's email]
C --> D[User receives password reset link]
B -- No --> E[Inform user that they are not registered]