Mandarin/Chinese character order & input location jumps during input

Hello,

In mindmap, when inputting Chinese characters, the order of words sometimes jumps, making the mindmap very very frustrating to use for Mandarin users.

Browser: Firefox, Chrome (Happens on both browser types)
My input method:
Microsoft Traditional Chinese IME (Zhuyin) - This is mainly used for Taiwanese users.
This input method requires multiple key inputs before a symbol is shown on the screen (we spell the phonetics with the key inputs, press a spacekey at the end of each symbol, and press an enter to confirm the entry), which might be the reason.

The problem doesn’t always occur when the input is at the end of the line. (I’m not sure)
The problem is the more prominent when the input is at the middle or beginning of the sentence. After confirming the inputted symbols using enter, the inputted symbols fly to somewhere else in the sentence, not where it was inputted. Or other already-present symbols’ positions are moved.
And/or, after input, the location of the input cursor shifts to the start or end of the sentence, even though it was expected to stay at the end of the newly-inputted entry position.

I suspect other Asian language users to have similar problems, such as Korean and Japanese inputs.
Thanks for checking to see how the system can handle Asian language inputs.

2 Likes

I got same issue. but in my case is using Japanese.
Not only me, other Japanese also said this happen.

I hope they will improve system for support these language.

1 Like

Thanks to you both for reporting this!

Our team is aware of some issues with using special characters in Whimsical, and they are working to fix this. We released some improvements last week that should help for both Japanese and Chinese users. We’re still working on a full fix for Korean.

Can you confirm, if you refresh your browser, are you still experiencing any trouble? If yes, can you please drop us a message at help@whimsical.com with the details, and we’ll loop in our engineers.

Thanks heaps! :pray:

Any Progress on this issue? It’s so frustrating. Not everyone uses English. I’m hesitant to pay for a subscription because of this issue.

Hey there,

We’ve made several improvements to the text editor in Chrome, but we are aware of existing issues in Safari and Firefox. Our team is actively working on this, sorry for the trouble!

The exception is tables in boards, and this element needs further work to support special characters consistently across all browsers.

If you have recent examples of the cursor jumping in Chrome on mind maps or wireframes, we’d love to know more about it so that our engineering team can use these examples for ongoing research into fixing this. Please share them at help@whimsical.com - thanks!

in my case,Chrome and edge broswer both have the cursor jump problem when typing Simplify Chinese,feel so bad…

i use mind map and sticky note, both have the problem